Monday 3 November 2014

Unit 1: Story-telling: Production Preparation

Story-telling unit: Production Prep Lab

Production Choice.
Which is the best way to sell your story, and is the most achievable:

2 min Trailer
or
Opening 2 mins of script

                                                              
The content.
What are you going to shoot? Which elements are you going to choose?

I’m going to shoot the entire first two minutes of the script.

                                                              
How are you going to shoot it?
Shot list? Story-board?
Style, tone, mood?

I’m going to create a shot list to organise my shooting day. It will be light-hearted with a casual, slightly romantic tone that will turn very dark and shocking toward the end of the two minutes. Everything will be solely focused on the actors actions as their will be no dialogue filmed.

                                                                
Casting.
Who is going to be in your production?
Do NOT cast yourself.  Friends and Family, at this stage of the course, is ok, but make sure they are right for the part. Ie If your script calls for a 45 year old man, DO NOT use your 15 year old brother.

The two characters in my screenplay are a man and woman in their early twenties. I will be using an eighteen year old man and an eighteen year old woman from my course, who both look old enough to be in their early twenties. I feel that these actors suit their roles as they are quite similar to the characters in real life.

                                                               
Crewing
Who is going to help you shoot the film? Camera, sound, assistant director etc?
Students should aim to help each other, but make sure the roles are properly agreed. No last minute texts or pokes!

It’s been arranged so that the male lead in my screenplay will assist with camera and sound operation as well as act as assistant director when filming the female lead, and vice versa.

                                                               
Location & production design
Where are you going to film? Any props or production design elements? Set dressing etc?

I will be filming in my male lead’s home, my female lead’s home, inside the male lead’s car and in a cul de sac. The scenes will be…
   - his bedroom
   - his living room
   - his bathroom
   - her bedroom
   - her kitchen
   - her bathroom
   - inside of his car
   - the street in the cul de sac
   - the road in the cul de sac

Besides the car, the props I will need are minor; an alarm clock, two mobile phones and items of clothing. I will be bringing make-up for the appearance of cuts and bruises on my female lead.

                                                              
Schedule & production kit
When are you going to film? Do you need to use our camera kit? If so, book it!
Two day shoot should be enough.

I’ll be filming on Tuesday 11/11/14, using a SONY EX1R to film everything but the shots from inside of the male leads car, for which I’ll use a GoPro.

                                                               
Post-production elements
Music? Titles? V/o?


I'm unsure of what music I want to use yet, I will decide that after shooting. The only title I will use is the film title. There will be no voice overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment