Monday 17 November 2014

Unit 1: Story-telling: Research

I only needed to do a small amount of research for my script. My research was for what happens after my character Nina is injured from the car accident.

I researched...

  •  The most common types of car accident injuries
  •  Broken wrist injuries
  •  Types of head injuries
  •  Types of comas and their outcomes
  •  The way doctors talk to patients

I found www.all-about-car-accidents.com very helpful for finding out about the most common types of injuries when someone is hit by a car. This lead to my decision on having Nina's wrist be broken from the accident as well as her head injury.

Due to deciding on giving Nina a broken wrist, I needed to know how that would be dealt with by the hospital. So I used the NHS website to find out what measures would be taken and how her wrist would heal. I made it so that Nina has her wrist in a cast and sling, and will slowly heal.

As well as her being bruised and cut with a broken wrist from the accident, I needed her to slip into a coma for my story. However, I wanted it to be possible that she wakes up without brain damage. So by researching types of comas on the NHS website and finding out what types of head injuries have what consequences on www.brainandspinalcord.org, I decided that she would suffer from a closed head injury, be in a fairly responsive coma, and wake up about a month after the accident.

Lastly, I needed to use the right terminology and speech for the doctor's dialogue in my script. I thought the best way to do that was by watching coma related scenes from Casualty and Holby City, this helped me to shape what the doctor says to the other characters and make him sound professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment