Monday 17 November 2014

Unit 1: Story-telling: Post-production

I have more experience with editing than anything else in film-making and I feel that that's what I'm currently the most skilled in. I thoroughly enjoy editing too so I couldn't wait to start straight after getting my clips uploaded.


Seeing as there is no dialogue in the first two minutes of my script (and that's what I've chosen to film), I wanted to edit my clips in a way that made them flow and time with the music playing throughout. So I needed to choose a song that would pick up speed in the same way that my clips and story do, as well as have a slower part somewhere along the way to finish on. I thought of a few different artists, Ed Sheeran, Bastille, Imagine Dragons. But none of their songs had what my film needed.

Then among my 'favourites' playlist I found Florence + the Machine. I already knew that they could be a good fit as she has a very soulful voice and all of their songs have very deep lyrics with a lot of tempo changes. I considered a couple of their songs like Shake It Out and No Light, No Light, before realising that Dog Days Are Over could be perfect. I edited a few clips together and put the song over the top and instantly knew that it was the song I wanted. I think that it changes pace with the film perfectly. And I think that the slow and eery verse at the end of the film will leave the audience feeling quite unsettled.


A big part of my film are the texts that we see. The two characters that we watch in the first two minutes are reading texts supposedly from each other all morning while getting ready. I wanted these to just fall into place in the scenes without needing to cut to the screen of a phone every time. I think displaying them as text makes them a lot clearer and allows the audience to see the character's reactions the them at the same time.


I'm really pleased with how well the focus and lighting came out in a lot of my clips. There were a lot of times during filming where I struggled to tell if everything was in focus or if the brightness was off, and sadly this shows in quite a few of my clips. However, for my first shoot I think that I did better than expected.


The turning point in my film is the crash, it makes the upbeat mood completely change and everything turns tragic. I was on edge before editing over whether or not I would struggle to edit my two clips together to make it really look like the car is about to hit Nina. I filmed it all in one take, having Mary stand alone in the road, reacting to the car that isn't there, then had her leave the shot and Jordan drive the car through the empty road. The plan was to merge the two clips together perfectly, and luckily it was very very simple. Having previous experience with cropping clips in Adobe Premiere, I simply layered one clip over the other and cropped it so that you can see both Mary and the car. Unfortunately the lighting is slightly different on the road in the two clips and creates a line where the clips are separated, but the shot is so fast and short that it's not noticeable in the film.

I've finished my rough cut and I'm happy with it. The only problem is that it's totalled to 2 minutes and 18 seconds instead of 2 minutes. I'm not sure how I can cut it down without taking out very important and effective scenes. I'm looking forward to getting my course leader's opinion and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment