Tuesday 10 November 2015

Fiction Adaptation: Slow Motion Filming Practice

As I plan to use some slow motion shots in my fiction adaptation, I tested out two different styles of creating a slow motion appearance in today's workshop.

The first was by learning to use a feature called S&Q on the Sony camera and changing the frames per second to 50 instead of 25, allowing the camera to record in slow motion instead of being transformed into this style in post production.

The second was by filming the same shots in the regular format of 25 fps and then slowing them down using a tool in Final Cut Pro.

Below is a short video of some of my test shots and the differences in production slow motion and post production slow motion...



I found that in comparison, transforming a clip into one that is slow motion by editing, allows the footage to be of better quality than filming at a higher frame rate. As seen in the video, the quality of the clips that were filmed in slow motion are of a lower standard than the ones that were changed in post production.

I plan to use the post production method of making certain clips into slow motion in my fiction adaptation to retain the footage's quality. However, I found learning about the ways to go about these changes very helpful for comparison.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent bit of research here - find examples in film which might inspire it's application in your own work

    ReplyDelete