Monday 9 November 2015

Fiction Adaptation: Planning

Summarised Plot
A film adaptation of the poem Love Ambitions by Deanna Rodger. Focusing on the story of a young woman who has convinced herself that her relationship with her ex boyfriend isn't over, we witness a day in her life where she lives out her illusions and fantasies all within her bedroom. As reality gets the better of her, this vulnerable young woman refuses to accept the situation and breaks down.



Main Character
  • A young woman named Dawn - chosen as a young woman due to the perception of heart break and becoming overly attached when in young love
  • Envisioned as having dark hair and a slim build
  • She is able to be seen as vulnerable to the audience through her desperate and emotional actions, as well slightly frightening at times when undergoing unusual and manic activities
Costume:
  • Grey pyjamas that look similar to below...

While appearing feminine, the grey colouring is a representation of the dullness and lack of vibrancy she feels when detached from her ex boyfriend
  • A dark red man's shirt over the above pyjamas...
In the above style, but a different colour

I have chosen a red shirt as it this colour is a popular and common representation of both love and anger, both of which Dawn feels throughout the film.

I have chosen to focus solely on one female character due to the poet's first person reading of the poem and so that the film focuses on Dawn's side of the story.



Minor Characters
  • Ben, Dawn's ex-boyfriend. Only to be seen within in-film pictures
  • Maddie, Ben's new girlfriend, also to only be seen within images that are shown in-film
The only clear impressions that the audience will have of the two minor characters is that Ben and Dawn were once in a happy relationship, now Ben and Maddie are in a happy relationship, and that Ben wants Dawn to 'stay away' from him.



Location
I wanted a simple bedroom that was either feminine or neutral and can be made feminine with décor. I will be using a friend's spare bedroom that I will decorate with my film's props...




The planned changes to the room for filming are the following...
  • The removal of the wall painting for props
  • The addition of a small table and chair
  • The addition of the props listed below
The reason for using one location is so that the film and poem's story can be told through nothing but Dawn's dramatic actions, which I feel are much more captivating that a variety of sets. I also decided on a bedroom as realistically, it's the most likely place for a person to shut them self off and feel comfortable.



Props & Décor
Props to be used by the main character in the script:
  • A vanity mirror
  • Printed pictures of Dawn, Ben & Maddie
  • A man's shirt
  • A bottle of cologne
  • A framed photo of Ben
  • A laptop
  • A notepad
  • A writing pen
  • A hard cover book
  • A marker pen
  • A bed sheet
  • A mobile phone
An outline of props to set the scene that I plan to use:
  • Unlit candles
  • Women's beauty products (hairspray, make-up etc.)
  • Used mugs and glasses
  • Books
  • 'Girlfriend' greeting cards
  • Female clothes for inside of the wardrobe
  • Shoes and bags as clutter
  • Electronics (phone charger, hair straighteners etc.)
  • Jewellery


Sound
While there are lines for Dawn in the script, I do not currently plan to use any sound from filming in post production. I will be adding piano based/classical music to my film that starts off with a romantic tone and turns more dramatic as the the film becomes darker as I think it will fit the mood perfectly.

A track that I'm currently considering is Sad Day by Bensound...

Bensound - Sad Day (Cinematic Genre)



Equipment
  • Sony camera
  • Rode mic
  • Lighting kit
  • Fig rig
  • Tripod


Schedule
I already have my minor characters prepared, as I will be using someone I know for images of Ben and myself for images of Maddie. The rest falls under the schedule below...

Main character job advert: I have posted a job in Casting Call Pro

Main character auditions: Monday the 16th of November at Maidstone Studios

Main character casting: I will be contacting my decided actress on the following day

Characters of Dawn & Ben photo shoot for props: Saturday the 21st of November in Maidstone

Filming: This will take place across one day - Friday the 27th of November. One day is perfect as I plan to have the lighting change from daylight to indoor lighting at night throughout the film. Also, as it this takes place on the first week of production, I will have time to re-shoot if I have any issues.

Post-production: Saturday the 27th of November to the 11th of December

I will also be purchasing some of the props needed between now and filming.
_______________________________________________________________

Aside from tutor feedback, creating a shot list, deciding on final music and writing up paperwork, all of the above are the details of my planning. I think I have my details and schedule well prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment