Tuesday 19 April 2016

Studio Production: Critical Reflections

During the recording of the official live show, I felt nervous, however extremely prepared due to the amount I'd learnt, how well the director and I could communicate and how many rehearsals of the show we had carried out.

What I would improve on

Vision Mixing: The only slip ups I had during the live recording were minor. These were accidentally pressing the TRANS key and 'mixing' in VT 2 rather than using CUT like all other VT's, leaving the final scores graphic on screen for two shots in stead of one, and the largest; Cutting onto the closing credits VT (correctly), but quickly back off of it to the camera, and then back onto it by accidentally pressing the key twice. However all the first two slip ups were unnoticeably small blunders, and the credits issue was quickly and easily resolved in post production. Seeing as I feel that I've come a long way since first sitting at the vision mixing desk, I feel that I did a great job in my role.

Promotions Producer: I found it to be a struggle to organise two separate shoots (the trailer and opening titles) alongside liaising with a busy director and producer to create the style bible all in a short amount of time. This resulted in the opening titles slightly suffering in my eyes, as we had to use a lecture room in the Maidstone Studios as it's location, and members of the course as actors. However, as they were silent roles, this didn't damage the titles. I think that if time had permitted, I would have shot both the trailer and opening titles in better locations and used professional actors to give them higher production values.


What I learned / What worked

Vision Mixing: I had never researched or looked into the role of a vision mixer before this unit. I discovered a lot of facts about the role itself, for example I thought that the vision mixer also prepared the graphics as well as cutting them to air - not knowing that a GFX Operator was an entirely separate role. But I mainly learned how to be a vision mixer entirely, as I began by simply cutting between cameras 1-5, to operating three times as much on the vision mixing desk by cutting between cameras, graphics and VT's. I mostly learned to try and stay calm as if I panic I won't be focused, and I can't do my job properly, remembering this, I now feel like I have successful experience in my vision mixing role.

Promotions Producer: I personally think that where the trailer and opening titles slightly lacked in quality in some areas, I was able to improve the overall appearance of them both through editing, so I feel that my editing experience greatly improved the promotional video materials. I also feel that my previous experience with Adobe Photoshop allowed be to be creative with the promotional poster and give it a professional look. I am extremely pleased with how all promotional material has resulted.

No comments:

Post a Comment