Monday 25 April 2016

Professional & Critical Practice (Commission): Promotional Video Research

Please find my previous commission posts HERE and HERE.

When preparing for Alpha Weapons Academy's promotional video, I found it extremely helpful to research methods and tips on creating an effective and successful promo video. The first helpful online guide that I found in my research involved three separate areas...

1. 'The 5 Steps: How to Make a Promotional Video'
by www.reelmarketer.com

These steps were as follows...

'Step 1: Strategic Planning:
Identifying purpose and strategic goals to the story.
Creative brief, story outline, goals, genre, budget, audience, script, storyboard, etc.

Step 2: Pre-Production:
Planning the technical aspects to creating and filming the video.

Step 3: Production:
The actual days of the video shoot while on set or on locations.

Step 4: Post-Production:
Putting the video together through editing and fine-tuning the visuals and sound.

Step 5: Distribution & Marketing:

Distribution, promotions, media, video search-engine-optimizations and sharing.'

These steps allowed me to make plans for and determine...
  • Documents for planning: script, shot list, questions to ask interviewees
  • Overall approach: documentary style as discussed with the company, filmed on location at the academy
  • Equipment: Sony EX1 camera, tripod, fig rig, RODE mic, boom pole
  • Shoot days: One day required for filming, one extra day scheduled in case of issues
  • Editing: Run time of 2-3 minutes, fun but informative style, low key music
  • Distribution: Upload onto YouTube and copy given to Alpha Weapons Academy to distribute and advertise themselves
The next helpful step I found in the planning process was answering the questions below...


2. 'Successful Promotional Video Creative Brief Questions:'
by www.reelmarketer.com

'The Purpose: What is my main core objective? Pick just one primary goal!


Single Thought: What is my main core message? Identify the key takeaway idea or action

Target Viewers: Who is my primary target audience? Age? Sex? Interests? Income?

Reach Your Audience: Where might I reach this audience? YouTube? TV Ads? Facebook Video? Video Podcasts?'


My Answers:

The Purpose: To advertise Alpha Weapons Academy with the goal of gaining new members and interest.

Single Thought: The classes are fun, informative, social and fitness based - all can join.

Target Viewers: Anyone 18 and above, both genders, interest in martial arts / weapons training and fitness, low income and above (due to it being a paid class).

Reach Your Audience: YouTube & social media - however advertising will be up to the company. Although the video will be shared on my YouTube channel, showreel and website.



And the last section involved further questions that made me think about each individual aspect of the video...

3. 'Promotional Video Style Elements'
by www.reelmarketer.com

'Tone: Lighthearted or Serious?

People & Speech: ‘Talking Head’ Interview style or Professional Actor?


Production Quality: Highly Polished Studio or Set, or, more shoot on On-Location?

Scripted or Unscripted: Candid Q&A or Scripted and rehearsed questions?

Video Quality: Often called “production value”. Various visual and technical attributes affect how the target viewers perceive a video’s tone.'


My Answers

Tone: Lighthearted - but professional

People & Speech: Interview style

Production Quality: On-Location

Scripted or Unscripted: Candid Q&A for realism

Video Quality: GFX (graphics) and music will be added to the edit for production value

The above research proved to be very helpful in contributing to the planning process and making me question myself in areas that I hadn't thought of before, such as a core message in the video.


When considering how to approach the script, I felt it to be necessary to create a documentary styled script as apposed to a dramatic script, as the video is heavily based on realism and improvised pictures with sound. When researching this technique, I found an example script that confirmed that this is effective and professionally used in promotions...

http://www.library.kent.edu/files/SMS_Promotional_Video_101.pdf

This inspired me when planning the script alongside my previous experience in creating a documentary style scripts in previous units.

I feel that all of the research conducted for promotional videos helped my planning process in deciding what documents to use (such as shot list) and which areas of the film to consider.


No comments:

Post a Comment