Monday 2 February 2015

Directions Unit: Actors

After roughly a week of contacting actors and trying to arrange auditions, I managed to get four actors to audition over Skype on Wednesday and Thursday (sadly none of them could audition in person). In my auditions I asked them a list of questions, such as touching on their acting career, what made them interested in the role of Rick/Mara, and some specific questions on costume and possibly difficult things to act out in scene such as smoking. Among this, I let them ask me some questions and I had them read their lines from the script, so that I could see both their body language and the way they would portray the character.

I feel very happy with the way I carried out my auditions. I did a lot of research and asked other people on my course (including higher years) for some tips, and I think I held very professional and useful auditions.

I needed to decide on my cast as soon as possible. As I needed to buy costume specifically for them right a way and make sure that I have my actors confirmed asap, I set myself a deadline of making a decision by Friday night. I held auditions for two actors trying for the role of Rick, and two actresses trying for the role of Mara. I thought all of them were great, but luckily for me, my decision was quite easy. Both my chosen actor and actress stood out more, and the way they portrayed the roles was a lot closer to what I had envisioned for my characters.

So on Friday evening, I contacted my two actors who didn't make the cut and told them they did well and to please apply for anything else I post in the future. And called my actors who were successful to give them the good news. They were both very excited and accepted their parts!

I'm now sending out their artist contracts and consent forms and creating my call sheets! I'm very happy with how my casting has gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment