Sunday 25 January 2015

Directions Unit: Research

As my main character is addicted to and heavily abuses heroin, I've been doing a lot of research on both the drug and the effects it has on the users. I need to know exactly what props and costume to have and how to present them.

To make the details accurate, I've researched the following...

The appearance of heroin
At first I thought that heroin sold by drug dealers was a white powder, as when I Google Imaged it, that's what I found. But after doing further research, I found out that white heroin is a purer 'grade' of heroin and is more commonly used for medical treatments. 

'Street heroin' as it's known, is most typically a dirty brown powder, due to being cut with other substances to increase its weight and the drug dealer’s profitsUsually, heroin is sold by drug dealers as a gram each. Most commonly wrapped in cigarette paper or clear plastic and tied up.

I will be using brown sugar for my heroin props, as it looks very close to the images I've found of street heroin. I will wrap and tie up one gram of it in clear plastic.



Resources:
http://choicesforlifeonline.org/cards/heroin-the-facts.aspx
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-105112/Heroin-Britain.html

How much it costs
I've found that the average prices for a 'wrap' of heroin are £10-£20. And that it's very easy to get hold of. I've learnt this from reading a Daily Mail article, where a study was carried out to prove just how easy it is to 'score' in a day.

I will have my main character give her drug dealer a £20 note for one wrap of heroin.



Resources:
http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/heroin
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-105112/Heroin-Britain.html

How it is taken
I've learnt from both online research and scenes in programmes such as Breaking Bad that injecting heroin into arm veins is the most popular and well known way of taking heroin. The drug is prepared by being dissolved in water, mixed with an acid (most commonly citric acid powder or lemon juice) and heated in a spoon over a flame. Also, the user's arm is often wrapped with an item such as a belt or a ribbon to temporarily cut off the blood supply to the arm.

While I won't be filming my character taking the drug, I will be placing drug decor on set and shooting a short, silent scene of the 'drugs' being heated. I will use syringes, used burnt spoons, belts and empty wraps for my decor. And will use a burnt spoon, a lighter and either syrup with water or tea as my dissolved heroin for my shot.

  

Resources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin#Injection

The effects it has on users while high
Again, I won't be including my character appearing high on heroin in my film, but I needed to know what effects it has on the user to make sure it would be the right drug for her to be taking. Her reasons for taking drugs are to escape her memories and grief over her mother's death. So the drug needed to be one that has the effects of lifting one's mood and taking them out of reality while high.

The effects of heroin are that it gives users a feeling of warmth and well-being and can often give them a rush of intense euphoria. Larger doses can make people sleepy and very relaxed. So it seems that this is the most suited drug for my character, as it would allow her to escape.

Resources:
http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/heroin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin#Recreational_use

The appearance of an addicted user
According to my research, heroin addicts often look quite ill, as if they have the flu. So I will have my character look slightly pale and tired, with dark circles under her eyes.

The symptoms of withdrawal from heroin depend on how severe the user's addiction is. On a scale of 0 to 4, the symptoms are:

0: Anxiety and strong desire for the drug
1: Watery eyes, watery discharge from the nose, and yawning
2: The above symptoms plus dilated pupils, loss of appetite, shakes, hot and cold flashes, and aching of the whole body
3: Severe shakes, hot and cold flashes, aching, fever, high blood pressure, fast pulse, and rapid breathing
4: Diarrhoea, vomiting, low blood pressure, and dehydration

My character would have taken heroin less than 24 hours ago, so I would have her show symptoms of no more than a no.1. I will most likely only be showing her anxiety, through her reactions to flashback and impatience when waiting for her dealer to hand over the drugs.

I will also be creating fake track marks on her arms with make-up. Users who have injected the drug many times often have track marks as the needle has scarred them and damaged their veins. I want it to be obvious that she is a long term user by having her track marks in shot.


(Fake)

Resources:
http://www.discoveryplace.info/narcotic-drug-withdrawal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_injection#Disadvantages

No comments:

Post a Comment