Thursday 10 November 2016

Professional Pre-Production: Opening Sequence Shoot

I have recently completed my shoot day for The Identity's opening titles. The day consisted of filming a number of planned shots outside in the morning sunlight for the best exposure possible, followed by planned shots at indoor locations with the use of set lighting for either extra 'daylight' effects, or to create harsh shadows. I feel that the shoot went completely to plan, give or take some unforeseen weather changes to deal with. But with plenty of time to spare throughout the day, and with great communication throughout the day between myself and my crew member, each individual shot went to plan.


Shot Examples & Changes

As the overall theme of the opening titles is related to the idea of a lost or stolen childhood, along with time being lost, and witnessing examples of the main character beginning her journey, I created the miniature 'scenes' below (all unedited footage).

Crayon Drawings
First style of crayon drawing shot example


Second style of crayon drawing shot example

As a first example of the ways that my shots and ideas adapted during filming once seeing them on camera; the first crayon drawing shot appeared too flat-looking to me. So I changed the shot to the second style, lowering the angle and creating a more professional and visually pleasing depth of field.

Example one of the crayon drawing burning
Example two of the crayon drawing burning
I'm extremely pleased with this scene and it's shots. By placing the burning paper on damp grass, each picture duplicate that I had drawn burnt slowly, allowing me to capture a number of detailed shots. I think that the family in the picture being burnt away and disappearing is a strong, dramatic interpretation of losing one's family.



Holding Hands
First attempt/style of holding hands shot example


Second attempt/style of holding hands shot example

As I'd imagined and planned, I wanted the holding hands shot to be in front of a cloudy sky. But once looking at the shot, the overcast sky and lighting difference between the hands and background created a problem; that the sky appeared as if it was more like a plain white backdrop. So we decided to bring set lighting outside and closely light our hands, allowing for us to turn down the exposure, giving the clouds behind more definition, and making the hands stand out.

Example of hands letting go shot

I think that a simple shot where we witness two hands holding on tight and then letting each other go, captures the idea of parting ways that I had intended. I also think that the clouds behind create a dark atmosphere for the shot.



Swings
Example of 'child' on swing shot



As I didn't have the means or the time to use a child in my opening titles, I was able to create the impression of a child through an adult wearing pink gloves and a large wool coat while playing on a swing. Without being able to include a face (as it would be an obvious adult face). I think that the transition of this shot, of a child swinging back and forth, to the shot below, of the swing slowly swaying with no one on it, supports my theme. And I am very pleased with my shots, as I feel that I managed to capture the exact image from my storyboard examples and create professional images.

Example of empty swing shot



Walking
Example of walking shot















Making the most of the seasons at this time of year, I decided to film my 'main character' walking along the vibrant autumn leaves for a contrast of colour. I think that costume of black jeans and biker boots is well suited to the costume design that I plan for my main character, allowing for the impression that these shots are of her walking on her journey. I think that my shots of this scene have turned out as well defined and better than I'd pictured.



The Knife
First style of the knife shot example


Second style of the knife shot example

I found that when filming the mysterious shots of a knife being toyed with, glinting in the light, that my initial idea of seeing a woman's hand playing with the knife just simply didn't work. I felt that the hand removed any sense of danger from the shot and distracted from the object. So after testing a number of ideas, my crew member and I decided to simply have an unseen hand slowly turn the knife so that it glints in the light, as the camera tracks up and down the blade. Creating a more creepy feeling and an overall better shot style.



The Bear
Example of the bear before shot

Extremely similar to the shot that I had pictured of the bear in my storyboard example, I think that the innocence of a childhood stuffed animal really comes through in this shot, with a variety of colours and textures. I'm very pleased with this result.

Example of the bear after shot


I think that there is something slightly disturbing about this shot; as was my intention. By tearing and dirtying the bear I was able to further symbolise the idea of a lost childhood. I think that the harsh shadow and dull, unkempt surroundings of the bear creates a noticeably atmospheric contrast to the before and after shots.



Cloud Time Lapse
Example of the cloud time lapse shot




Initially, I thought that I would be unable to film the sky time lapse shot that I had intended as the clouds were overcast all day. But in a brief moment of the clouds separating I was able to capture a lengthy shot of the clouds travelling and changing across the sky. I think that this will be a great cutaway shot along with resembling time passing.



Maps
Example of maps shot

The above is an example of a London map that I printed and fashioned to appear used to symbolise the character's travels through London on her journey. I also did the same with a Pennsylvania map; the hometown of and area that the character travels from. By pointing set lighting at an angle on the maps I was able to get very angular shots and a great depth of field on the locations listed.



Candle & Flame 
Example of candle and flame shot















By gently blowing on the candle's flame, causing it to flicker, and then quickly blowing the flame out completely, I was able to symbolise with this shot the idea of hope being lost - as a candle can often be a representation of hope, and when the flame goes out, the hope has too. Choosing to film the lit candle in the pitch black darkness of the night instead of during the day, I was able to create a shot that brought out the vibrancy and glowing light of the candle. I feel that the dark background, melted details that I'd created on the candle earlier and bright flame all create an effect that almost makes the footage seem edited as the shot fades to black at the bottom. I'm extremely pleased with the results of this shot.


What Worked

  • Overall, the shoot day was a success. As I was able to capture every shot that I'd imagined.
  • I think that using different locations when filming (garden/park/bedroom/living room etc.) will allow me to create a very lively and varying montage of footage in the opening titles.
  • Using the Canon DSLR camera and Aputure lighting kit gave the footage extra flair and professional appearances.
  • Using one crew member to assist in camera work when I was starring in the shots myself proved to be enough for filming. I feel that no extra crew was needed.
  • The planned timing of the shots: by filming the shots that needed outside daylight in the morning when there's most light, followed by shots that required inside daylight, and then shots that were suited to being film in a dark location with a lighting kit, the schedule went to plan and I got the appearances that I needed.
  • By preparing a number of props before filming day, including duplicate crayon drawings for multiple burning shots, a pristine teddy bear that I was able to damage effectively, maps that were made to look authentic, and melting down a candle with precise drips and angles for a prolonged use look, I was able to get an authentic feel to my props and footage.

What I Would Have Done Differently

  • I would have filmed the holding hands shots slightly differently, creating less of a flat backdrop appearance (even though I improved on this), I still feel that the shot is slightly off - while still effective.
  • I would have possibly come up with a more interesting idea for the use of the knife prop, to create more threatening footage of this.
  • I would have used actresses for the parts that I starred in myself, in order for my role to remain as director and camera person only to simply just make the day go a bit smoother. However, my crew member captured exactly what I wanted from the footage of myself under my directions, so this wasn't a problem.

What's Next

After a successful shoot, I will soon begin editing the opening sequence together to create an approximately 40 second long montage style piece that fits my series.


No comments:

Post a Comment