Monday 28 November 2016

Professional Pre-Production: Final Opening Sequence Cut

After making the improvements for my second fine cut of The Identity's opening titles, everything had been developed and improved exactly as needed. The last piece of feedback that I was given by my tutor and by director Andrea Kapos when viewing my second opening titles fine cut, was that the sequence needed one last clip, one that signifies changing an identity - such as passport copying, birth certificate copying etc.

So I decided to film a passport being scanned, showing a beam of light passing under the passport. I think that the dark, shadowy clip with one piece of light running through fits the dark themes of the rest of opening titles, as well as clearly indicating the idea of someone manipulating their identity.

This also allowed me to fill a gap of footage in the sequence, as where the last cast member is introduced, the footage remained as clouds from this moment until the logo appeared. Now, by replacing a long use of cloud footage with new passport footage, the pacing of the titles remains consistent instead of slowing down, and the clips continue to vary.


Original footage of my passport

Fine Cut Version Two: Before

Final Cut: After


This last change to my titles has proved to be the effective finishing touch that the sequence needed, I feel extremely satisfied with the final result.


The Identity Opening Titles


1 comment:

  1. this is really good now. if i was to make one critical comment - the bit with Michael B Jordan, doesn't have any other overlay -its just clouds - and as that's like the final title one it makes him (his name) stand out more.. could there be an image to blend in there??

    ReplyDelete