Friday 11 December 2015

Fiction Adaptation: Critical Reflections

Research & Influences
  • Poem analysis
  • Poet research
  • Poem adaptation research
  • Adaptation research
I think that by analysing each individual part of the poem Love Ambitions itself allowed me to consider what the poet may have intended for each line to mean, how I interpret it and what visuals would suit each part, allowing me to plan the adaptation thoroughly. I think that by also looking into the poet, Deanna Rodgers and exploring her work taught me about the kind of style that she has, and her other adaptations gave me inspiration for my own.

The most helpful research I conducted however was by analysing the Youth Media adaptation of the poem, analysing the poem/theatre piece adaptation For Colored Girls and techniques used in novel adaptations such as Bridget Jones's Diary and Sherlock. The combination of these sources gave me a lot of inspiration and guidance in creating my adaptation.


Script
I feel that the script came slightly naturally to me. As after analysing the poem and considering the type of story I could create from from it, I could see it play out in my mind. As most of it needed to be heavily based on visuals instead of dialogue, I wanted the film to be emotional and dramatic.

Although, I wanted to use the technique of occasionally working the poem into the film through in-film writing or certain lines of the poem being spoken as dialogue. For example, a line in the poem is 'I am the one for you and... you complete me.' so I wrote in the script that the character looks at an image of the man she loves and speaks to it, saying "you complete me". I think that by weaving the poem into the film itself rather than completely in post production gives it depth.


Casting
The largest struggle that I had was within casting, as I wasn't able to find an actress until a approximately a week before filming. While I put out an advertisement for the role on Casting Call Pro about two and a half weeks before filming, which was as early as possible, I was continuously let down by actresses that scheduled an audition and failed to attend or reply to me.

Thankfully, I was told of a Facebook group for UCA Theatre & Performance and posted the role there. Which is where I got two auditions that were fulfilled. I decided to cast my actress Nicoletta, for her ability to instantly go into a dramatic emotional state as the script called for, as well as being able to portray the sweet side of her character. Although I initially struggled with casting, I'm very happy with the actress that I cast.

I had also initially planned on using a friend to pose as the character's ex boyfriend in my photoshoot and in film, however they dropped out soon before the film, so I was given permission to use a member of my course, which not only worked out great, but gave me piece of mind due to his reliability.


Location
I decided early in the process of planning that the film would take place all within the character's bedroom to resemble the dramatic occurrences in the film being a typical day in her life. My own bedroom didn't have the layout that I needed for my script, so I thought of a course member's spare room that I knew had the exact type of style that I required.

While the whole film being set in a bedroom also allowed for convenience due to not needing to set up in a number of locations or face any weather issues, there still ended up being a large number of problems, as discussed below.


Filming
I had seen the room in person previously, and looked at recent images of it. But had gotten the size of the room wrong in anticipation of it being larger than it actually was. This meant that there was no room for more than myself and the actress, barely any room for filming equipment, no room for a lighting kit, not much space for the actress to move around in when acting, not much room for props and decor and there wasn't a great deal of natural lighting through the small window.

These factors all meant that I struggled to get the shots that I had intended and that the lighting of the film suffered greatly. However, thanks to preparing all of my props, the shot list, script and filming schedule way in advance, the help of two course members, and the co-operative and professional attitude of my actress, a positive of filming was that the timing went according to plan.


Editing
The largest amount of time spent on the film was definitely through editing, as I find it can often be what will make or break a film. While I was initially not very content with how filming had turned out after all of the complications, I think I managed to turn it around quite a lot through spending a lot of time and hard work on editing it.

In the process of editing the film now has the additions of:
  • Four separate colour tones
  • 2 classical pieces of uncopyrighted music for a soundtrack
  • Enhanced vibrancy and exposure
  • Sound effects
  • Visual effects
  • On-screen, animated text
  • Narration

What Worked
  • The photoshoot for in-film prop photos of the character and her ex boyfriend, which ran smoothly and the photos turned out great
  • The actress portrayed the character very well
  • Aside from the casting issue, the planning and organisation of the film went extremely well
  • I feel that the script/storyline ties in very well with the poem
  • Thanks to one of my course members I was able to add a very well-done voice over recording to my film in a short amount of time

What I'd Have Changed
  • I'd have used a larger location for the ability to have my crew member with me and for the space to set up the intended kit
  • I'd have used someone else instead of course members for my photoshoot and voice over simply to have it feel and seem more professional, however this was only done so due to complications
  • I'd have possibly made my script slightly less complex, as my film was largely over the time allowance which meant having to cut parts of the film out to meet the time


What I've Leant
  • I've learnt a great deal when it comes to adaptations. I had little knowledge on them before, especially with poetry adaptations and techniques when creating them. I feel that I've learnt a lot from this
  • I've learnt that even if I've been to a place that I plan to film in before, that I should make sure to go back there just to refresh my mind and avoid what occurred when filming
  • I've learnt to make sure to post my job role on multiple websites and pages instead of just Casting Call Pro, as while it has worked out very well in the past, it wasn't a good option this time

What I Want to Improve On
  • I want to improve on my camera skills. I'm not entirely happy with a lot of shots that I took as some are off centre or slanted. I feel that this is something that will improve with further practice

Final Result Thoughts
Overall, I'm very pleased with the result of my adaptation. I think that the story remains very true to the poem and resembles it well, without distracting from it too much. I think that it's turned out nicely after having many issues during filming and has a very unique feel to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment