Thursday 10 December 2015

Fiction Adaptation: Post-Production

Step By Step
There were many features to be added and changes to be made to create the look that I needed for my film. These were...
  • Comparing each shot with guidance from my shot list, selecting the ones of the best quality and usability (for example shot #1 filmed four times, then selecting the clip of the third time it was filmed)
  • Placing all of these shots together in chronological order in the Final Cut timeline as a starting point
  • Due to the length of the film totalling at approximately 9 minutes 50 seconds, cutting down areas of each clip that weren't completely necessary, speeding up certain clips, and eventually having to lose one small portion and one large portion of the of the film to cut the time down to 5 minutes 32 seconds. All of which needed a lot of time and detail, as although it's simple to delete parts of clips, each one still needs to flow into the next
A clip from the small deleted 'scene' made for the lines 'Smell like you, the scent that you apply. Provide the glisten of desire that resides in your eye'. These words were added to a different set of clips
clip from the larger deleted 'scene' made for the lines 'I wanna' be your bed, your sheet, your pillow and your cover. The one that I smother, your bedtime lover. Comfort in the form of a significant other'. These words were then added to a different set of clips.
  • Adding the poem to the film through on-screen text in almost every clip and using a number of effects on the text
  • Adding carefully selected music for the films' soundtrack. Then cutting the music in multiple places so that the tones, highs and lows fit with the atmosphere and actions in the scenes
  • Enhancing the vibrancy and exposure of each individual clip to improve their quality
  • Changing the colour of each individual clip for atmosphere setting
  • Adding a visual effect that enhanced the films' quality
  • Adding in-film sound effects for sounds that could not be created during filming
  • Correcting the sound of the film
  • Adding the unit introduction GFX
  • Creating and adding a simple and subtle GFX film introduction
  • Adding credits
  • Having a voice-over recorded, adding it to the timeline, carefully placing it inline with each section of the poem and adding effects to it

On-screen Text
From the start of creating my idea for this adaptation, I knew that I wanted to incorporate the poem into the film by using text instead of narration. I felt that as the script is so active and dramatic, that it tells the story itself. However, while this strengthens the look of the film, it seems to clash slightly with the amount that is happening to the character at the same time as the audience needing time to read the on-screen text.

With feedback from my tutor, I made the following changes to the text...
  • Making the most standout-ish and bold words such as verbs more eye catching by putting them in a larger font
  • Using a tool to have each piece of text slowly move during it's appearance
  • Placing certain sections of the poem in different areas of the screen to make them clearer and easier to read
These additions and changes have made a very large difference to the text's significance and how captivating it is in the film, by bringing it to life and giving the impression that it is more 'involved' in each moment.

An example of before improvements


After improvements

Sound
I wanted classical music with the main instrument being piano for my soundtrack, as I feel that this type of music can portray both a lighthearted, romantic atmosphere, as well as a dark and dramatic atmosphere when used in different ways.

I searched on a number of copyright free music websites and found two soundtracks on Bensound. One called November, and one called Sad Day. November is a slightly upbeat, relaxing classical track, while Sad Day is a more downbeat and dramatic piece of music. After testing these with my clips, I found they were extremely suitable to use in my film for the separate tones that take place. The calm and romantic tone that the film starts with, the change in atmosphere as the character becomes distressed, and the emotional, dramatic tone that the film ends with.

I successfully mixed these tracks together half way where the mood of the film turns, and edited them to lengthen them and have them fit with each individual moment of the films' drama.

I also added three separate sound effects to the film from Freesound to make it more realistic. I searched and found an iPhone message tone for the moment that the character receives a text and a vibration sound to accompany it. I could not have created these sounds on set as the timing would have been overly complex and the interference static sound from the phone would have been picked up. The other sound effect was the sound go glass shattering for the moment that the character smashes her vanity mirror, I could also not create this sound due to the health and safety issues of her throwing a mirror and the possibility that it could have smashed beyond use for the 'cracked reflection' ending.

Lastly, I added a number of echo and room type effects to the sound effects to make them sound more like they take place during the scenes and to create a bolder sound for the mirror shattering moment.


Aesthetics
I first had the thought to change the colouring of the film when beginning to colour correct each clip to improve their quality. After exploring the idea of overlaying a certain colour on the clips through testing, I decided to use four separate, subtle colours.

I have used pink/purple for the first part of the film, to create a relaxed, romantic atmosphere that comes from the feelings portrayed through the characters actions and surroundings. I used cold, blue tinted colouring for the moment when the character becomes distressed and upset, signifying the moment when the films' tone changes and resembling these feelings of distress. The third colour overlay is a warm, yellow tinted colour to match the now florescent evening lighting and represent the warmth and relaxed feeling the character has momentarily returned to. The fourth and final colouring is pale and slightly yellow and blue tinted, for the final turn in the film where the character begins to fall apart and the atmosphere is at it's most intense and emotional.

My inspiration for using certain colours for segments of the film comes from the Youth Media adaptation of Love Ambitions and their use of a heavy pink colour and from previously using the technique when creating a film in the style of David Fincher. I've found that adding extra atmosphere-setting colour to a film brings it to life more.


Before adding first colour

After adding first colour

Before adding second colour

After adding second colour

Before adding third colour

After adding third colour

Before adding fourth colour

After adding fourth colour
 The other visual enhancement that I made during editing was changing the vibrancy and exposure of each individual clip, along with adding an effect overlay called Vignette. I think that the combination of this creates more of a three dimensional style of image and creates a more professional film look.


Before enhancement


After enhancement

Voice Over
Taking the advice of my tutor, I decided to use a voice over/narration in my film later in post-production. This is to have the poem be more of a centre stage item and feel of more importance in the film, it also allows the poem to be presented to the audience in a clearer and simpler way for them, as they don't need to focus on reading text.

Although, I decided that I should not use my actress for this, as she has a strong accent that I found isn't quite clear enough for narration. So in the short time remaining, I decided to use someone on the course that has a clear speaking voice, as well as being believable as being the character's own voice.

Having tested the voice over on the timeline that already included the on-screen text, I decided to keep both the text and the voice over instead of removing the text. This is because I feel that the text remains as a reminder that the film is an adaptation of the poem and that it flows nicely with inline with voice. I think that adding narration to the film is a huge improvement and allows the audience to feel as if they're hearing the characters thoughts and feelings, bringing more emotion to the film overall.


End Result
Some of the editing process was a struggle, due to the lighting issues that I faced when filming, there wasn't much I could do to dramatically correct this. However, after a lot of hard work and adding a very large amount of detail to every single part of the film, I feel extremely pleased with the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment