Friday 30 October 2015

Digital News Production: Critical Reflections

Research
Research that I conducted in the unit...
  • 4 different gaming online news channels
  • BBC News research
  • ITV News research
  • Assassin's Creed Unity research
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate research
I think that the above research has really improved on the outcome of my work in this unit. Beginning with the research of gaming news channels opened up ideas of how to present our own channel and types of topics could be discussed. For example the channel The Know (primarily about gaming) uses a presenter in front of a green screen for their news packages, inspiring us to use the same technique.

The extensive research I went into for BBC News and ITV news to both compare to each other and my own work gave me an insight into the general structure of news programmes, key features such as branding and layout and the pacing of the programmes.

In order to discuss the issues of Assassin's Creed games, I needed to investigate the issues and obtain general knowledge about the games. I think doing so allowed me to heavily improved on the lines and features of our package script and the overall quality of our package.


Scripts
Overall, I think that the quality of our final scripts has turned out to be very professional and realistic as news pieces. Having created the originals at the start of the unit and tweaking them from then onwards to constantly improve, they haven't dramatically changed in the way of structure. However, due to the OB's location changing for example, certain lines' energy had to be raised to create a more entertaining atmosphere. I also tweaked lines to suit our two presenters personalities to make it more relatable for them and for the lines to flow more naturally.

I think the relaxed lines of both the package and OB fit the casual style that we were aiming for in a gaming news channel, while still sticking to news conventions and not shying away from the overall tone of a news piece.


Brand
Our brand was decided on right at the start of the unit, and it fit our choice of channel so well that it's not changed a great deal since our first decision. The name Game-Over and tagline Now it Begins have remained, along with our colour scheme of black, red and white. This fits very well into the retro gaming theme, as does our newly created 'pixelated' style of logo.

Casting
Our cast originally was planned to consist of one female presenter for our OB and one male presenter for our news package for variety. However when casting, I had a lack of responses for the news package role and audition plans fell through on their end for the actors that applied. When auditioning both Francesca and Candice, we found that they were very strong presenters and decided to use two females.

I think now that filming is over, this worked extremely well. While having two female presenters, they both have extremely different personalities and styles of presenting. Meaning that they still add a great amount of variety to the package and OB. I found that Francesca gave off a strong news piece feel for the package, while still setting a casual tone. While Candice provided a very high spirit and level of enthusiasm for an OB piece that could have potentially become downbeat without this.

Green Screen Filming
I found this to be a challenge, however I learnt a lot from my first time using a green screen. I gained a lot of experience from filming in a new way and learning the technique. I think the end result of this has turned out very well in the edit. However I feel that the lighting could have been improved on, as it appeared slightly harsh in After Effects editing. I've learnt from this for next time to take more time with lighting the set when green screen filming.

Interview Filming
Due to having previously filmed numerous interviews for the documentary unit, I felt like I had a lot of experience to guide me through filming and editing, so I think that filming and cutting the interview together went very smoothly. However, it was more first time dressing a set to such an extent, so I feel that this was very helpful experience for the future.

OB Filming
Due to the complications of last minute changes with location, this felt like the biggest challenge of the unit. However, I think we did extremely well in thinking on our feet and getting a new shoot organised so quickly. It was an interesting experience to attempt to film for a consistent 2 minutes without manipulating the script. I think the use of a different camera would have improved the appearance of this shoot, so that's something that I have learnt from this.

Editing
As editing is my strongest point in film making, and was my main role within the group, I thoroughly enjoyed this. I think that the edit of both piece came together very strongly and the final result is a very strong news package and OB that compliment each other very well and fit the conventions of news channels, especially gaming news channels.

Channel Trailer
The approach we had for our channel trailer was influenced by other gaming news channels as they heavily consist of game footage and are kept more simple with upbeat music and a voice over. Using this approach with techno music and having Jordan do the voice over, I think the upbeat tone of the trailer perfectly represents the casual and fun style that our channel has.


Website
We decided that we would use the option of having a website for our channel as well as a YouTube channel to create realism and strengthen it's appeal. We used this to provide our trailer, news package and OB videos, 2 news articles written by Harry and Jordan and information on our channel. I think the end result of the website is very strong and fits our brand style with design and colouring.




What Worked
I think that as a team, we worked extremely well together. With Jordan reprising the role of director and channel trailer editor, Wez having the role of producer and website designer, Harry having the role of camera operator and shoot planner, and myself having the role of sound engineer and editor.


What I Would Have Changed
  • Location for filming the studio piece due to sound interruptions
  • Location for filming the OB piece if we had enough time to re-plan and reorganise for more excitement in the piece
  • Lighting on our presenter in front of the green screen
  • Higher quality of sound if possible
  • The use of the Sony camera instead of the DSLR when filming the OB to have more focus and steadiness

What I've learnt
  • How to film using the green screen
  • How to use After Effects for green screen editing and opening titles construction
  • The editing structure of news channels

What I Want to Improve On
  • Further experience and skill with filming the green screen
  • Further experience and skill with using After effects

Links
Below are the links to our YouTube channel and channel website...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjlB6eALW7bQlnDs2RZlGBg/feed

http://ucagameover321.wix.com/gameover

No comments:

Post a Comment