Tuesday 29 September 2015

Fiction Adaption: Essay Starting Point

To start, I have decided on the below question for my essay...

In adapting a novel the adaptor inevitably infringes the integrity of the original text - discuss with reference to at least one text adapted for broadcast on television.

The text I have decided on is the memoir book Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman, and it's adaption into the American tv series Orange Is the New Black.

This is a very recent text to choose, as the book was only published in 2010, and the series was released in 2013, so I'm aware there's not a large amount of history behind it. However, it's based on life in women's prison, so being an extremely fresh, modern and intense topic, as well as being based on real life, I think I have a lot to work with.

Piper Kerman, the author and reason for the show and book, is in support of the show, so she serves an argument against the opinion that adapting the text for television infringes it's integrity. However she provides good topic for discussion with the fact that she says "when you watch the show, you will see moments of my life leap off the screen ... But there are other parts of the show which are tremendous departures and pure fiction." (NPR, 2013)



Bibliography:

NPR (2005) 'Behind 'The New Black': The Real Piper's Prison Story' In: www.npr.org 12.08.13 [online] At: http://www.npr.org/2013/08/12/211339427/behind-the-new-black-the-real-pipers-prison-story (Accessed on 29.09.15)

No comments:

Post a Comment