Tuesday 30 September 2014

Unit 1: Story-telling: Idea Development

As of Friday I decided on the concept of my script for my first unit. I've written a first draft of my idea, however the draft is unfinished as I need to figure out what will happen next. Here is part of my first draft...

"A twenty-something year old man and woman are in their separate homes, they wake up and text about how they can’t wait to meet for the first time. Cutting back and forth from the characters, we see them go through their morning routines. The woman is very organised and timely, everything has its place and she goes through the morning step by step. The man is the opposite; his room is messy and he seems to be a ‘go with the flow’ type. While their mornings are different to each others, they both look excited once they start getting ready to meet up and when receiving/sending texts. We gather from their texts that they are meeting for lunch. They both leave around the same time; she walks out of the house and along the path as he gets into his car. He drives along listening to music, while she continues to walk. He takes out his phone and sends a text saying that he’s on his way, then puts his phone away. Her phone chimes a text tone and she takes it out of her pocket, she smiles as she reads it and crosses the road. We cut to the view from his car and see her come out of nowhere, we see the split second shock on their faces and we hear the screech of brakes. The car is about to collide with her and the screen cuts to black with the sound of a thud and smash.

After a short time of silence, we fade in to the woman lying on the ground with her eyes closed. Blurred in the background we can see the man leave his car to run towards the woman (a slowed down scene). It cuts to her phone on the ground near her with it ringing. The name of the caller is the same of the man she’s been texting all morning, Kyle. As we see the panicked driver without a phone in his hand in a state of shock kneeled over her, it’s clear that he must not have been the man she was meeting. The driver takes out his phone, and there’s a text on the lock screen from the girl that he’s been texting all morning, Lucy. This shows us that he was also texting/meeting someone else. He ignores the text and dials 999."

I know that from this point that I want Kyle and Lucy to meet in the next scene. I just need to decide on a location and how they will meet when they both assume they were 'stood up'. I'm not sure what I want to happen to the man and woman that the script begins with, and if I want Kyle and Lucy to find out what actually happened.

I'm going to take Steve Coombes' advice and try to decide on my ending before anything else, and then I can build up to that.

I may also change character names at some point.


I imagine this with 'Kyle' calling and the woman lying near the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment