Wednesday 29 March 2017

Major Project: Extra Sound & Footage Shoot Day

During the production phase of Double Exposure, when I was creating the dailies, I made consistent notes on all scenes, including certain scenes that would require pick-up shots to be filmed at a later date (due to production time restraints). From this point I talked with our crew, specifically the Director, making them aware of which shots needed to be filmed in order for the story to flow and have continuity in post-production, and we all agreed that we would use the last of our budget to return to the house location and record the extra shots that we needed. Once this was agreed, I began drawing up a documented list of the shot types that were needed and for which scenes.

During First Assembly editing in post-production, our extra shoot day was decided and scheduled. As we couldn't stretch our budget any further to get our actors back for shooting, and could only afford a day of filming in our main location, we decided on shots to capture that didn't involve seeing the actors face. Including close-up shots of a car wheel pulling up, and a woman's arm closing a door. We agreed that by using the original costume, I could act as our main character by using my own hands and arms for our pick-up shots.

As can be seen in my previous post, during First Assembly editing, I found that a lot of extra sound recordings were needed to add to the film, either due to sound issues during the original shoot, or for extra sound design, and I noted them down on the script as I worked.

Overall, the finalised document that I created for our extra shoot/recording day consisted of shots that the Director required, my suggested (and needed) shots to add to the film, all sound recordings needed to add to the film, extra notes, all original props required for the day and who would be supplying them, an equipment list, and an example photo of one shot's original set dressing for referencing. My document can be seen below...




On the day, filming and sound recording went very well. We were well prepared with equipment, costume, props and a scheduling. Disappointingly, we were unable to get the Director's required shots (under 'General Shots' on the document) due to the clear skies and sunshine on the day - weather that was clearly drastically different to the weather throughout our film. But although we had technical issues with the camera that halted filming in the evening, we were able to fix the issue and get the remaining shots that we needed. Below are (uncropped) examples of the pick-up shots we got on the day, and how well they turned out...

Scene 8 Shot

Scene 7 Shot

Scene 21 Shot

Scene 18 Shot


Following the shoot, in preparation for adding the sound and footage to the First Assembly edit, I used the same process as my dailies structure of reviewing, organising and naming the files and folders, ready for importing into my project the next day.



The next step after this was to add the remaining footage and sound to the current edit, and finish the First Assembly cut.



No comments:

Post a Comment