Thursday 19 January 2017

Major Project: Early Editing Practice & Experience

In editing, I have previous experience of using Adobe Premiere Pro, such as my summer project video for the start of university and my first university project: 'The Meeting'. But over my time at university, I began solely using Final Cut Pro. While I've gained a large amount of experience, knowledge and skill within this editing software, I feel that Premiere is a far better program to use when trying to gain experience in professional editing - as Premiere is a software that much more closely resembles industry standard editing software such as Avid.


Practice Workshop

In light of this, I decided to gain further knowledge and experience in using Adobe Premiere Pro for my major project and future use. I firstly did this by asking for a one-on-one workshop with the course's technical adviser, who's also a skilled editor, back in the first term of third year.

During the workshop I was taught the most professional ways to navigate the program, learning the correct shortcuts, workflow and two-screen layout of the software when editing. Making lots of notes, I learned the individual shortcuts for basic actions on the editing timeline, along with using practice footage to create a well-timed, smooth sequence.


My rough notes from the workshop



A guide book provided after the workshop


A one-screen/monitor example of my workshop material/timeline

I found the workshop to be very helpful, not only in gaining further experience in navigating the software, but in learning the most professional ways to do so.


Showreel

Recently, I completely recreated my professional showreel, not only by cutting it slightly differently and adding new material, but by doing so all within Premiere. I found this to be great practice in editing a professional sequence together, alongside using text and effects within that sequence. I think that the end result is clean cut and smooth.


An example of my Showreel Premiere timeline


View my Showreel Here



I found both of these editing practices to be very helpful in getting back into using Premiere, and feel that alongside further practice and research my skills will strengthen.

No comments:

Post a Comment