Tuesday 21 April 2015

Documentary Unit: Editing Workshop

Today we had an editing workshop with a BBC editor. It began with him telling us of his editing experiences and his process. He followed this by giving us advice on the best ways to edit our work.

We then moved on to editing individually. We were given a transcript from a documentary shoot that our tutor filmed and were told to cut down each clip so that we were left with the most useful lines from the interview transcript. After this we were given the freedom to cover the interview how we liked with the provided cutaway/actuality clips.

With the footage we were given, I think I was able to make quite a smooth piece of work. Some of the clips were a bit hard to work with due things such us out-of-focus shots and camera shake. And I have to admit that the interviewees weren't particularly entertaining to watch, but I think with the actuality and sequences, it makes the short 'documentary' piece rather interesting.

I think that today was helpful practice for beginning to edit mine and Mary's work in an effective way.

Here's my work from today...


No comments:

Post a Comment